Skip to content | Tuesday, 06-Dec-2016 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Sheffield Property Shop

Click here to download the browsealoud software (this link will open in a new window)

Translate Page :


Allocations policy logoYour Choice - Your Home

On-line access to Social Housing in Sheffield


Welcome to the Property Shop

All Sheffield Council and Housing Association properties available to rent are advertised on this website each week.
To place bids on properties, please complete the 2 part on-line application:

1 - First register your household.

2 - Apply for Social Housing.

Once your completed application is received, we will carry out relevant checks to validate your information.

You will be required to submit Identification and reference documents as part of the registration process.

Please click the link below for details of how to register:

Step 1 - Registration


To update your application, or register, please use the links below:


       Login My Account              Register New Application



Latest News banner


Christmas HomseyChristmas and New Year

The Property Shop at Howden House will be closed on Monday, 26th December and will re-open on Tuesday, 3rd January 2017 at 9:00am.

There will be an extended bidding period which will run from Thursday, 22nd December to Tuesday, 3rd January 2017.

Please note that property allocations will be made after the 4th January 2017.

We wish you a safe and happy holiday. 



 Introduction of References

ReferencesCustomers applying to join the Housing Register from the 7th November 2016 will need to provide us with a tenancy reference.

The new requirement is part of the Council’s Allocations Policy and brings our procedures in line with other social landlords in the region.

It will give us information about a person’s tenancy history and help us:

  • Have a better understanding of our prospective tenants.
  • Have a better understanding of any support needs new customers may have.
  • Advise customers about the housing options available to them.
  • Be aware of previous tenancy issues customers have been responsible for.
  • Decide whether to prevent some customers joining the Housing Register based on their previous behaviour.

Most new applicants will have to provide us with a tenancy reference. People who haven’t rented a property before can provide other types of references.

References should be submitted using the Sheffield City Council template available to download. Please see this page for more details: Registration

There is information available in our public offices and housing staff can answer questions or provide advice.

If you need any help with this please call us on 0114 205 3333.


IDMade changes to your application?

If you have made changes to your application you may need to provide I.D. If I.D is required we will write asking you to provide this.

Any I.D must be provided within 28 days of submitting the application or updating your details or your application will be cancelled and you will be required to submit it again.

You should take the I.D to a First Point or Housing Office. We will keep copies of your I.D whilst you are on our waiting list for a property to ensure against tenancy and housing benefit fraud.

If you are on the register for a long time, we may write to you and ask you to reproduce some current I.D, at which point we will delete the previous I.D from our systems.

Once you access a property with Sheffield City Council and have been a tenant for 6 months, we will destroy all copies of your I.D.

Universal Credit logoHousing Benefit Changes


Important NoticeAnyone signing up for a tenancy from 1st April 2016 will have Housing Benefit / Housing Element of Universal Credit restricted from 1st April 2018.

It is important you consider this before taking a tenancy and only bid for properties that you will be able to afford.

Benefit will be capped depending on the size of your household, not the size of the property. To find out which cap will apply to your household there is a rate for each household size,  called the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate.

Your household size is worked out by taking into account the age, sex and number of members of your household in the same way as the benefit calculation works now for the “bedroom tax”. So if you are only eligible for housing benefit for a 2 bed property, your benefit from 1st April 2018 will be capped at the 2 bed LHA rate.

More information including the cap amounts can be found here: Benefit Changes (79.86kb PDF)

Please visit this website to search for local housing allowance rates: Directgov website (This link will open in a new window)




Do you find the property shop website easy to use?

Want to give feedback on your customer service experience?

Please could you complete our short online survey?

We value your comments which will help us to improve our service delivery. Please leave your name and contact details so that we can respond to you.

Survey link





Housing AssociationsHousing Association Information

Download the latest 2016 guide and contact info:

Housing Association guide  (272 kb PDF)


 Call Centre phone numbers




Council Housing Service address





DACT logo 


Call 0808 808 2241 or for more information please vist our website HERE







Adobe GifSome information is presented in PDF (Portable Document Format). To view these documents you will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader. (This link will open in a new window)

 Credit Union

Council Housing Service



01/12/16 - Customer Access Team / MT © Copyright Sheffield City Council 2016  Website help? contact


Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy