Identification and References
Applicants are required to provide 2 forms of identification (ID) and a reference when applying to join the Housing Register. You need to provide:
- One form of ‘primary’ ID for the applicant (and joint applicant). If this does not include a photograph, for example a birth certificate, we will also require a passport style photograph.
- Proof of address for the applicant (and joint applicant).
- One form of primary ID for each household member.
- Proof of child benefit for all children aged 16 or under who are named on the application. This should be your most recent child benefit award letter.
- A reference from a suitable person using the Sheffield City Council reference template. This will usually be your current or most recent landlord. Further information on references is provided below.
Note: If you are non-UK national, you may also be asked to provide proof of immigration status. We will let you know if this applies to you.
Before applying to join the Housing Register, you must make sure you have the relevant ID ready for uploading, as ID and references should be uploaded at the same time as you submit your online application. If we do not receive your ID, your application will be cancelled, and you will need to re-apply. In exceptional circumstances we may accept your ID at Howden House, Sheffield Property Shop, but only if you have everything that is required. If you do not have everything that is required, we will not accept any of your ID and your application will be cancelled. If you are having difficulties, please contact us on 0114 205 3333 or 293 0000.
Acceptable ID and submitting your ID
Note: After receiving your ID, it can take up to 28 days to process and activate your housing application.
We will not store a copy of your ID or reference, so we advise that you retain copies for your own records in case you need to refer to it again in the future.
Completing the Reference
References should be submitted using the Sheffield City Council reference template. If you are currently or have ever lived independently, Sections 1, 2 and 3 must be completed by your most recent landlord.
If you have never lived independently, you will need to contact us for an alternative form. This form must then be completed by someone who knows you in a professional capacity. This could be a support worker, social worker or employer.
Please contact us if you are unsure who should complete your reference or are unable to provide one.
Storing your ID and Reference
After your application is accepted onto the Housing Register, we will delete the ID and reference you have provided. If you remain on the Housing Register for a substantial length of time, we may write to you requesting more recent ID.